Thursday, December 10, 2009

11 Days 'Til Solstice

I don’t think winter is going to wait for the solstice. We got a brief taste on Monday and it was a bitter brew of cold, slick roads, and traffic accidents. It was enough to make you forget about Tiger Woods and all of his self-induced problems. Now they are predicting more of the same for tomorrow. At least I have figured out the heating system in the house. Monday got pretty cold and it would have helped if I had known that the heat was turned off due to some scheme of Hubby’s to figure something out. I didn’t look all that cute in my pants, shirt, thick, red and white polka dot robe, and a throw wrapped around my shoulders. At least the blinds were up and the neighbors didn’t have to see me in my less than fashionable ensemble.

By Monday afternoon, I had given up trying to do anything but sitting on the couch under a couple of blankets with my knitting, watching Law and Order: Criminal Intent. I had already braved the crazy traffic to go to the store. A pot of chili and a pan of lasagna isn’t worth all that, trust me. So, I didn’t feel the least bit guilty to be sitting under the blankets with some sticks and string.

I was kind of amazed that I remembered how to knit, especially since it had been so long since I had sat down and just knit. I had forgotten how much I missed my knitting time. What little time I had for craft I used to spin on my drop spindle because any time I sat down for a few minutes, exhaustion caught up with me and ran me over.

Knitting in my house feels different from knitting at the apartment. First, the light in the house is way better than it ever thought about being in the apartment. Second, the view is so much better. Then there is the stillness and peace – not that there wasn’t in the apartment. I am an urban dweller and I don’t mind the noise of the city. We still have traffic and the sounds of the trains, but not living down the embankment from the interstate I don’t hear the constant thrum of the traffic. Even with the traffic and trains, there is this stillness that comes around 7 or so that lasts until morning.

I feel that slowly I am reclaiming my life. Some parts are the same as BM (before the move, the initials are hilarious because I am five) and other parts are better.

I am back with my knitting group after a long absence. I missed them and the space allows me to see them in a different light and appreciate them all the more.

My contact with Hubby some evenings is limited to asking what he is doing when he comes up from the Man Cave for air. If he begins to develop mole-like features, I will start to worry.
On those evenings, I can sit watching my favorite t.v. shows, burning my “stinky” candles, and knitting. It’s good for those days when I see people with lots of needs and me with so little ability to help more than listen.


I like that I have a separate kitchen and dining room.

The 2nd floor and basement bathrooms are not always convenient. Sometimes this leads to Hubby making impolite inquiries when my hand is on the bathroom doorknob. My stock answer is “Wait and see”.

The hot tub is great, or it will be when we actually use it. Let’s just say you can’t just put a whack of water in it, turn it on and climb in it unless you want to get some nasty skin infection. At the spa place there was a lot of blah, blah, blah PH; blah, blah, blah cloudy water – I am given to understand that is bad; blah, blah, blah bacteria build-up.

Total non-sequitur… There is actually a list of the most fascinating people of 2009. For some reason I am not on it. I am debating whether or not to watch the show to get tips for 2010.

Most of all, I think it is way ironic that nuns live across the street from me. Hopefully they will be good neighbors and not host loud, raucous parties.

No comments: