Tuesday, February 16, 2010

By the Side of the Road Part 1

Many people know the story in Genesis about the infamous love triangle of Jacob, Rachael, and Leah. Jacob loved Rachel and agreed to work seven years for her father as a bride price. Then on the wedding night, Leah, not Rachael, showed up in the marriage tent. So, Jacob raised a fuss, got Rachael and worked for his father-in-law for another seven years. All for love.

What many people don't know is how the love story of Jacob and Rachael ends. Rachael died in childbirth while the family was on the road. They barely stopped to bury her before moving on. The beloved of Jacob was buried by the way in a foreign grave. Leah, the lesser loved sister was burined in the family tomb with Jacob.

In a lot of ways the death of my paternal grandmother was like the death of Rachael. Hubby and I had just closed on the house. We were in the middle of painting and doing all the prep work to move in. Then my mom phoned to tell me my granmother had been diagnosed with an aortic aneuyrism and didn't have long to live.

I went down to see her at the nursing home the week she died. I wiped her face and held her hand. I sat there while others talked around us I sat there knowing I had said my good byes long ago but needed to be there for me.

When my grandfather died five years ago, my grandmother was moved to the nursing home. She had dementia and could not stay by herself. With each passing year, the dementia diminished my grandmother. As she lost more of her memory, it became more apparent that she would reach the point that she would not know who we were. That day was fast approaching.

Instead, my grandmother died of the aneuyrism in November. She died surrounded by people who loved her and people she knew instead of strangers.

I saw her on a Tuesday. She died that Friday. I played for her funeral on Monday. We moved that following weekend.

At Christmas I noted her absence and that of my maternal grandmother like an ache in my heart.





No comments: