Friday, April 2, 2010

My Current Obsession

This is my nephew. He is the smartest, cutest, funniest, and adorable child ever conceived or birthed in the history of humankind -- with the exception of me, of course, but I willingly cede my title.

This was my obsession last week.


I finished knitting this during the game of the West Virginia Mountaineers vs UK’s pod people Wildcats. (I can’t let myself believe that it was UK’s real team that played so horribly in the Elite Eight.) Well, to be honest, I finished knitting this sweater during Dark Relic on SciFi (I refuse to call it SyFy. That is just stupid.) as I am not a masochist and couldn’t watch the rest of a game that was the equivalent of taking a microplane grater to your eyeballs.

I found myself sitting abjectly dumbfounded at the stupidity of the announcer who basically said if UK wanted to win they have to make more points that West Virginia and keep West Virginia from scoring. Really? Is that how you win a basketball game, by scoring more points that your opponent?
Sign me up for that job. I’ll sit behind a desk with the blow dried sports has-beens pontificating about how a team needs to score more and prevent their opponent from scoring to win. I can sit behind a desk collecting big bucks saying things like, they won’t win if they can’t score a basket; they are 0 for 50 attempts at free throws, a dismal average; they have to hold onto the ball and make it down the court if they want to score. Now back to you, Tom.

But I digress….

This is my obsession this week.

My obsession with knitting sweaters for my nephew is born of my current goal of knitting down the stash. For an investment of six to eight hundred yards of yarn, I can knit my nephew a sweater. If the yarn is worsted weight, I can knit up a sweater in a couple of weeks. I could probably knit one up in a week, but I need my sock knitting time.


Since we have moved, I have invested some time in organizing my stash. I have found that for some reason, on a few occasions I miscalculated the yardage needed to knit an adult garment. I have enough on hand to knit some cool things for wee people in general and my nephew in particular.

It has been awhile since I knit something that wasn’t foot or shawl related. It’s not that I mind knitting things with arms or pit shaping. What I do mind is that little detail called putting the damn thing together.

The difference in knitting between handknit and homemade is a poorly executed seam. When I seam, my OCD finds entire new methods to send me straight to Looneyville.

What I like about the sweaters that I have been knitting for my nephew is that they have all been little top down numbers that require no seaming. Just my speed. So, I’ll keep knitting them until the yarn runs out.

No comments: