Tuesday, June 8, 2010

If You Buy A Man A House

I am sitting at my desk, sitting in my hot pink, office chair, enjoying the latest Mary Chapin Carpenter, and the sounds of the neighborhood. This is no small luxury.

On our last trip to the Homeowners Place of Penance, I saw a small, electric weed whacker. I bought it for Hubby as that was the last bit of lawn care equipment we lacked. I sat down to write the next day only to be greeted by the buzz of a man at work in the back yard. It was maddening. Just when I thought it was over, it started up again.

I kind of felt sorry for the weeds as I watched from the second story window as Hubby the Weed Scourge wielded the Whacker of Weedy Woe. I was also glad I had not chosen to plant any flowers in the back, as HWS wields the WWW in a whacking frenzy possibly whacking friend and foe.

The house has become this living thing with wants and needs of its own. Part of these wants and needs are fueled by Hubby. Before, it was just me with my fiber needs. Now Hubby hasn't seen a home improvement project he doesn't want to consider.

It all started with the electric mower that he bought for a song on Craig's List. He has a routine about mowing the yard, which I do appreciate since I thought he would never do it of his own volition.

The mower was followed by the acquisition - again from Craig's List - of these giant plastic barrels he was planning on turning into rain barrels. They are still in the back yard, just plain old barrels. Any rain that gets inside is incidental to the fact they are in the back yard and barrels.

He did take a hands on class on rain barrels, so we do have one functional rain barrel. This rain barrel feeds the drip waterer for the tomato plants. There is the promise of tomatoes as the plants are growing and have blooms. I am looking forward to that.

Then there was the Return from Texas Trip Surprise Holes in the Wall. Surprise! It was supposed to be speakers but I couldn't get the cable run like I thought I could.

Next was the huge investment sitting the basement waiting to deprive me of a hot shower. I have finally talked Hubby into reality world by getting him to accept the difference between technical and practical knowledge. You have technical knowledge when you read books and watch videos about installing a tankless hot water heater. You only get the practical knowledge after you have helped a professional or some other person who has hands on experience install a tankless hot water heater. All my prayers have been answered as the universe has sent us a plumber.

I will admit to cringing more than a little when I hear the words, "I've been thinking; You know what would be cool; I saw this thing on DIY tv the other day". I have to practice centering and calming breathing before saying "No. And are you nuts?"

It isn't as if I am not complicit in all of this. I did put some herbs in the front after ripping out the day lilies. I am allergic. Plus, I have this insane belief that big, grassy plants are the domestic breeding ground for black mamba and reticulated pythons escaped from the local pet store. I also got a hibiscus and some rose bushes. The knowledge that this year is the floral building year and that I will have to wait until next year to benefit from all this year's labor is tough at times, but at least there will be fresh basil and tomatoes.

Still, when I am sitting at my desk next to a row of windows that let in the light and a brillant view of blue sky and our neighbors' back yards I don't regret buying the house or the Whacker of Weedy Woe. When I am sitting in the hot tub in the evening looking up at the stars and hearing the sounds of the neighborhood at rest, I don't regret buying the house. When I am sitting in my front room knitting in good, natural light, I don't regret buying the house. When I hear the sound of the electric mower or the whacker, I am not quite sure.





No comments: